A teacher must:
- Meet the qualifications for teaching in primary or secondary schools in their country of nationality or last legal residence;
- Have a minimum of three years of teaching or related professional experience;
- Satisfy the standards of the U.S. state in which they will teach;
- Be seeking to enter the United States for the purpose of teaching full time at a primary or secondary accredited educational institution; and
- Possess sufficient proficiency in English language to participate in his or her program.
Educational enrichment: Participants learn United States teaching methods while also bringing an international perspective to U.S. classrooms.
Sponsors are required to:
- Screen and select qualified foreign teachers who can make a contribution to the education of students in the United States and who want to learn U.S. teaching methods; and
- Sponsors monitor the visitor’s stay in the United States, ensure that they are performing their teaching responsibilities and ensure that they are involved in cross-cultural programs where they can learn about the United States and its people.
Sponsors must provide participants with the following information:
- The duration and location/s of the participants' program;
- A summary of the significant components of the program, including a written statement of the teaching requirements and related professional obligations; and
- A written statement that clearly indicates the compensation package to be provided to the exchange visitor teacher and any other financial arrangements relevant to the program.