Other U.S. Student Visas

Many different visa categories permit nonimmigrants to travel to the United States. Nonimmigrant international students usually enter the United States using one of three visa types: F-1, J-1 or M-1. Each visa category is defined by its purpose for travel to the United States.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 Visa is for students attending a full-time degree or academic program at a school, college or university. The F-1 Visa is valid for as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study. An F-1 Visa also allows students to work on campus and in some situations even off campus.

M-1 Visa

The M-1 Visa is for students enrolled in non-academic or "vocational study." The M-1 Visa is valid for one year, but students may apply for extensions for up to three years.

Learn more about the F-1 and M-1 visas.


Studying at U.S. Universities and Colleges: F-1 versus J-1 Visas