Government visitors must be:
- Selected by a U.S. federal, state or local government agency;
- Engaged in observation tours, discussions, consultations, professional meetings, conferences, workshops and travel; and
- An influential or distinguished person.
Professional training: Participants consult, observe, train and demonstrate special skills on matters of shared interest.
Sponsors are U.S. federal, state and local government agencies. They must ensure that participants:
- Are appropriately screened and selected;
- Are selected by a U.S. federal, state or local government agency;
- Are engaged in consultation, observation, training or demonstrating special skills;
- Are an influential or distinguished person; and
- Ensure participants have health insurance in place for the duration of the exchange program for themselves and their spouse or dependents, if any.
- Before the program begins, the sponsor needs to provide:
- Information on the length and location(s) of the participant’s exchange visitor program;
- A summary of the significant components of the program; and
- A written statement clearly stating the stipend, if any, to be paid to the government visitor.
Government Visitors cannot participate in the program beyond 18 months.