Camp Counselors must be:
- Sufficiently proficient in the English language to supervise and interact with American youth;
- A foreign post-secondary student, youth worker, teacher or individual with specialized skills; and
- At least 18-years-old.
Financial value: Participants receive pay and benefits commensurate with those offered to their American counterparts at the camps.
Camp Counselors will occasionally have to:
- Perform non-counseling duties as part of camp life, but not serve as “staff.”
- For example, they cannot serve as administrator personnel, cooks or menial laborers such as dishwashers or janitors.
Deputy Assistant Secretary Robin Lerner’s Welcome Letter to Camp Counselor Participants
Read the letter (PDF)
Sponsors are required to:
- Conduct an in-person interview;
- Secure references regarding suitability;
- Ensure that participants have the required health insurance coverage;
- Provide participants, prior to departure for the United States, with information on their duties and responsibilities as a camp counselor, contractual obligations relative to accepting a camp counselor position and information on financial compensation;
- Maintain SEVIS records;
- Provide the sponsors 24/7 immediate contact telephone number;
- Monitor participants throughout their stay and provide assistance as needed; and
- Provide the Department of State’s toll-free emergency hotline telephone number to all participants.
Sponsors must ensure the following:
Eligibility: Must be at least 18-years-old, proficient in spoken English and a bona fide youth worker, student, teacher or other specially qualified individual.
Financial Compensation: Camp counselors must receive pay and benefits commensurate with those offered to their American counterparts at the camps.
Employers are required to:
- Provide pay and benefits commensurate with those offered to their U.S. counterparts; and
- Ensure that program participants do not serve as “staff” — including (but not limited to) administrative personnel, cooks or menial laborers such as dishwashers or janitors.