Detailed Description of the DS-2019
Form DS-2019 , “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status” is a Department of State controlled document that can only be produced through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is the Department of Homeland Security database developed to collect information on the F, M and J visa holders. The Form DS-2019 is the basic document required to support an application for an exchange visitor visa (J-1). It is a 2-page document. Foreign nationals are required to sign page one of the form agreeing to the instructions and certification language relating to participation in the exchange program found on page two.
No blank SEVIS forms exist. Each Form DS-2019 is printed with a unique identifier known as a “SEVIS ID number” in the top right-hand corner, which consists of an “alpha” character (N) and up to 11 numerical characters (E.g. N0002123457).
The Form DS-2019:
- Identifies the participant (block 1);
- Identifies the sponsor (block 2 and block 7, which contain the name, signature and telephone number/address of the sponsor’s responsible officer);
- Provides a brief description of the program activity to be completed by the participant (block 2);
- Identifies the beginning and end dates of the program (block 3) and the program category (block 4); and
- Provides a breakout of the total estimated financial support to be provided to the participant during his or her program (block 5).