Maintaining Initial Exchange Visitor Records
Slide #1Welcome to the SEVIS Training for Sponsor Officials. This training will facilitate your understanding of the role of a Responsible Officer (RO) or an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) as related to the administration, maintenance, and management of the exchange visitor program, and exchange visitor (EV) and spouse/dependent records in SEVIS.
In this presentation we will discuss:
- How to update records in Initial Status
- We will also talk about program validation
Slide #2Disclaimer: This presentation provides guidance for using SEVIS. It does not replace the Exchange Visitor Program regulations 22 CFR Part 62. To obtain administrative guidance on the Exchange Visitor Program, the Exchange Visitor Program regulations, or program or exchange visitor issues and concerns, contact the Department of State's Office of Private Sector Exchange Designation.
Slide #3Now we will look at the various actions that are used to maintain exchange visitor records that are in Initial status.
Slide #4This is the Exchange Visitor Information page. It displays all biographical and program information entered when the record was created. The record is in Initial status. Notice the program begin and end dates. At the bottom of the page is the site of activity block, and the spouse/dependent block. Clicking the spouse or dependent SEVIS ID opens the spouse or dependent page. The exchange visitor, site of activity, and spouse/dependent information (if any) can be updated by clicking the Edit buttons. The Actions menu includes the Amend Program, Cancel EV, No Show, Reprint DS-2019 and Validate Program Participation links. All changes to the record are captured in the Event History.
Slide #5Updates in Initial status are restricted after the exchange visitor obtains their visa and the visa information displays on the record. Before the visa is issued, all edits are available. After the visa information is on the record, only the category and subject/field can be edited, and a spouse or dependent can be added. If the exchange visitor’s category is Secondary School Student or Au Pair, the Residential Information can also be updated after a visa has been issued.
Slide #6When the record is in Initial status, the sponsor official can perform the following actions:
- The first is Amend Program. It is used to update both program begin and program end dates;
- The next is Cancel EV. This action is used to change the status to Invalid. If the status is changed to Invalid, the Form DS-2019 allotment is incremented by 1 as the form is not being used;
- The RO or ARO can also use the No Show action. This action is used to change the status to No Show. This status change does not affect the form allotment because the exchange visitor used the form to enter the United States. An automatic e-mail will be sent to the exchange visitor notifying them of the status change.
- The RO or ARO can reprint the Form DS-2019 by using the Reprint action;
- And finally, there is the Validate Program Participation action. This action is used to change the status to Active when the exchange visitor begins the program. An automatic e-mail will be sent notifying them of the status change.