Incident Reporting Video
Learn more about the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program’s Office of Private Sector Exchange Administration (OPA) and how program sponsors, exchange visitors, and interested parties can identify and report incidents and complaints.
Every year the U.S. Department of State’s J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program brings over 300,000 foreign citizens to the United States to work, teach, and study.
During these exchanges, participants strengthen their English language skills, connect with Americans, and learn more about the United States.
These experiences not only form strong bonds between the exchange participants and the Americans they meet, but also create mutual understanding and cultural awareness in communities across the country and around the world.
The State Department recognizes that ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of exchange visitors is of paramount importance.
That is why the Office of Private Sector Exchange Administration (“OPA”) was created in 2013.
OPA works with Exchange Visitor Program sponsors to respond to incidents that may adversely affect an exchange.
Examples of incidents include death or serious injury, sexual abuse, arrest of an exchange visitor, or the involvement of an exchange visitor as a victim or perpetrator of a serious crime.
This also includes any potential litigation related to a sponsor’s exchange visitor program in which the sponsor or an exchange visitor may be a named party.
Information about what qualifies as an incident, as well as how and when to report it, can be found at J1visa.state.gov
If you become aware of an incident affecting the health, safety, or welfare of an exchange visitor, please contact OPA right away using the following category-specific email addresses:
- Government Visitor, International Visitor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, Specialist, College and University Student, and Professor Categories: AGexchanges@state.gov
- Au Pair Category: AuPairProgram@state.gov
- Intern and Trainee Categories: InternTraineeNotify@state.gov
- Secondary School Student Category: HighSchoolExchanges@state.gov
- Teacher and Alien Physician Category: Teacher_Physician@state.gov
- Summer Work Travel Category: SWTSponsors@state.gov
- Camp Counselor Category: CCSponsors@state.gov Together, we can ensure the best experience possible for our exchange visitors and their American communities.
[Flag & Seal graphic] [J1visa.state.gov] [social media handles]